Friday, November 13, 2009

I'm not super stitious, but I am a little stitious...

I'm not a huge believer in the supernatural, but there are some things I believe in - like unsettled spirits haunting old friends and certain days of the year (Friday the 13s and full moons) lording special powers over us mortals. Case in point...the toddler dog whisperer. Today, I introduced the little boy I nanny for to my sister's dog, Gracie. Gracie has a rep for hating all kids, except her little "brother" (my nephew). So naturally I was a bit wary of taking an unpredictable 18 month-old boy to meet the huge 70-pound Weimaraner. But it was love at first sight - Gracie sat patiently waiting to be pet by Jake, who found Gracie's sweet spot under her chin. I was quite surprised that the child-hating dog took so fondly to Jake.


Pondering this hours later while playing outside at Jake's house, I still couldn't wrap my head around it. Now, Jake ran around his front yard, giggling at the wind whipping leaves in his face, tiny, crunchy brown bits stuck in his hair. From the neighbor's yard, a white dog began barking incessantly at Jake. He looked at me, unsure of what his next move should be. I knew the dog was being held back by an underground electric fence, but Jake was not restrained in any way. He did the only thing he knew to do, he barked back. "Woof woof!" he hollered and pointed at the dog. "Woof woof!" The dog immediately sat, ears folded back in shame, eyes longing for forgiveness from Jake and I. Holding my pinky in his small, chubby hand, he walked toward the dog, unsteady on the uneven ground, leaves cracking beneath his feet, and he gently set one hand on the dog's head. With a final "Woof" of apology acceptance, Jake turned and toddled back toward his own yard.


The dog sat quietly the rest of the evening, watching Jake and I cut the grass with his Fisher-Price lawnmower and draw messages to his brother on the driveway with sidewalk chalk. I realized then that this kid had magical dog calming powers. Maybe I was hearing "Woof woof" from his mouth, be he was secretly talking in dogspeak, a language only toddlers and dogs comprehend. I'm not sure and would probably be more skeptical were it not for the date, Friday, November 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment