Friday, October 30, 2009

I Love Trash

"Oh I love trash
anything dirty or dingy or dusty
anything ragged or rotten or rusty
yes I love trash"
-from the immortal and incomparable Oscar the Grouch

What I don't love is when trash litters an otherwise lovely landscape. Have we learned nothing from the threatening signs on the side of road indicating fines for littering? Have we not seen the community service workers, dressed in reflective orange, paying their debt to society by picking up garbage? Are people lazy? Does the wind "accidentally" blow the garbage out of our hands/cars/trash cans and land buried in the woods? I think not. Litterers bug me.

This little guy, a bread bag, was located a mere twenty feet away from a trash can. I choose to believe it blew out said trash can when a giant, menacing, swirling wind came through Hendersonville. But it's probably not true.
Natty Ice - I'm certain this is from a group of teenagers who are
a) too young to be drinking and were doing it in the woods because it's illegal
or
b) too young to know Natty Ice is gross and just because it's cheap doesn't make it okay.






These two I'm pretty sure are from a picnic. Styrofoam, the most environmentally unfriendly product known to man, is great for keeping perishable items fresh on a picnic. It will just live on for eternity, buried under the fall leaves and amongst the decidedly decaying log against which it lays.

This cooler is no doubt from some tale of tragic tailgating gone awry. A close zoom in on the cooler indicates its age and the scum covering all sides suggests its been submerged in this little creek for many years. I can understand the rage that builds up during football season when school pride is on the line and bowl games are at stake. If I were to take my frustrations out on my surroundings, I too can envision chucking a cooler and a pop can deep into the woods. Hypothetically speaking, this kind of rage can boil over during the waning seconds of a very important Notre Dame/USC game when Reggie Bush clearly (and illegally) pushed Matt Leinart over the goal line with no time left on the clock, thus leaving Irish fans wrought with fury and enough animosity to hurl a perfectly spiraled cooler into a creek. Hypothetically speaking.
The leaves are nice, like in a lazy river, floating about aimlessly. The Cherry Coke can and plastic bag are not so nice. (By the way, this can is of the old variety, indicating it's probably been there at least a year or two.)
I like Diet Dr. Pepper as much as the next guy. I also like to recycle as much as the next guy, which is why I reached deep into this really itchy bush and pulled out the bottle, tossing it in the recycle bin on my way out of the park.
Finally, my favorite - blue plaid boxer shorts. In a secluded spot in the woods. No explanation necessary, other than, unlike most of the other items of trash, I left these guys alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment