Friday, September 18, 2009

If the leaf's a rockin'...







Bugs--a necessary part of the natural environment. Yet, on my walk around Lake Calhoun last night, they bit me, crawled on me and buzzed in my face. I, like many of my fellow saunterers, found myself swatting them away nonstop. What I didn't expect to find upon examination of a berry tree were two ladybugs going at it Adam and Eve-style. I felt incredibly embarrassed at having interrupted their sexual endeavor and instinctively turned my head away...until curiousity got the best of me. I estimated that hundreds, maybe thousands, of little creatures were, uh, engaging in intercourse around the lake and the hundreds of people running, biking and Rollerblading around the path were completely oblivious to it. I wondered, as I zoomed my lens in on them, which was the male and which was the female. Then I realized I knew nothing about ladybug mating habits. Is fall the preferred time of "the rut?" Do the men prefer the women with fewer black spots, or are the black spots part of the appeal? So many questions, so few answers. I snapped a few photos and gave Jim and Nancy their privacy. (Little do they know their sexual exploits are now circulating on the Internet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment